Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chevron/Bright Nails

    I was at Sally's a few days ago getting some hair stuff (just put a sweet white streak in the ol' bangs) and I let the clerk talk me into buying a neon purplish nail polish for 94 cents. If you know me at all then you know neon really isn't my thing. Aside from the bright blues and purple I now have in my hair I don't stray outside of the earth tone color range in my style. However, I liked the color and came up with a design that toned it down a bit. Here are the three polishes I used...
   A black nail polish with a long thin brush for making lines and designs, a clear top coat, and of course, my little neon purply/pink color.

   I began by french tipping my nails with the neon color (very sloppily). You can stick those little round stickers that are used to reinforce holes punched in paper to your nails as a stencil to get a more perfect french tip but I just free-handed it.

    Don't worry about getting it all over your fingers because you can fix that later when you're finished. Next I grabbed my black dollar store Art Deco polish to do the lines. If you want you can use any ol' black nail polish and just use a thin paint brush to do the lines. The Art Deco stuff gets really thick and dries fast which isn't always preferable for doing tiny straight lines.
    Start your black line at the bottom middle of your nail and then go out on an angle to the end of the pink. Do the same thing with the other line only going out to the other end of the pink forming a V. It should look a little something like this once you're done.

  
   Once you get your V's on both hands, go back and using the same technique make smaller V's on the inside of the larger ones. You can keep going if you want but I stopped at 2 V's on each finger.

     Add your top clear coat (you may want to do 2 or 3 clear coats to prevent chipping) and then use a q-tip and nail polish remover to clean up where you got the polish on your fingers. I usually just skip that last step and rub/scratch the access polish off once it's completely dry. It isn't the most intricate or complicated design but it looks really great in person and helped tone down that neon color.

    You can of course us any colors you want and you may also want to do a base coat as well. Anyhow, I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment